Friday, April 23

hdmd? & allergies

Last week was rough, it started with Elliot running a fever Monday morning.  His fever had reached as high as 103 with Tylenol so that night we took him into the pediatrician's offfice and they agreed he looked miserable but didn't see that there was any problems with his lungs, ears or throat.  They sent us to Primary Childrens the following morning for some lab work.  Tuesday, Elliot was doing much better but still running a fever.  He did really well with me while they took blood and suctioned his nose.  He had been starting to smile again but the doctor asked us to bring him back in.  It came up that he could have hand foot mouth disease but she wasn't certain.  We opted to not give him an antibiotic shot because he was starting to get better.  Wednesday morning he woke up with out a fever, but started to get a rash on his face and hands.  The rash looked more like little blisters by Friday and after looking at pics on google I thought it looked just like HFMD.  The doctor said there wasn't anything they could do and he would just get over it. The rash is now gone, but we're still not sure how he picked it up.

This week we finally took Elliot into see an Allergist.  They did a bunch of tests and found that he was definitely allergic to milk & egg.  There was a small concern for cashew so she told us to stay away from nuts until he's at least a year for now.  I guess most kids grow out of allergies by the time they are five and if not at that point there are other options.  Right now it will be easy to control it and keep him from eating anything with them in it, but I imagine it may become a little more difficult once he's eating more and just being sure other people are aware of his allergies.  I do not want to have to use the EpiPen.  I have to remind myself that allergies are no biggie and things could be much worse.
Other than that his eczema had been doing well with this lotion Renew.  Now that he has 4 teeth and a few more coming in at the moment I'm hoping he'll start drooling less and help out with the eczema along with the weather changing.  I'm very behind on pictures so I better start uploading those now :)

1 comment:

Krista said...

We use ibuprofen for fevers instead of tylenol. Works so much better for Liam. It's usually pedi approved once they hit 6 months and dosage is by weight. I'll email you a really good reference about it.

Ah . . . the dreaded hoof and mouth disease (what I call HFMD cause it's so similar in name). Liam got it last year. They had a little girl with blisters on her mouth and they didn't know what they were. So if Elliott spends any time at all in daycare, that would be my guess. We were told you pretty much have to just let it run it's course and keep them hydrated - if they blisters in their mouths they may not want to eat. Oh, and it's not a one time and have immunity kind of thing. There are many different strains like a common cold so he can get it again.